These stables were originally part of the Conargo Inn and while the inn has long since gone, the stables are still standing and have been restored. They stand about 100 metres away from the town centre on the Carrathool Road.
A twice weekly coach service from Deniliquin to Jerilderie was established in 1858 by the founder of Conargo, William McKenzie. By 1891 coaches were doing the 60 mile (96.5Km) run from Deniliquin to Jerilderie in a contract time of 14 hours. They would stop for meals at Cadman’s Conargo Inn where these stables were located.
During this era the stables were a hive of activity, waiting for the next Cobb & Co team to pull in and change over. On quick stops the driver and workers would race over to the hotel and buy a billy of beer for sixpence!
For many years the stables were used as a workshop for Manny Pottinger who was renowned for his skills with fixing windmills.