The Edward River is perfect for a wide range of water sports and it’s the perfect alternative to the crowded Murray River.
We’ve had the locals share the best spots on the river for you!
1. Best fishing spots to hook a Murray Cod:
Anywhere in the Murray Valley Regional Park Deniliquin, which also has a boat ramp for easy boat access.
2. Best spots for water skiing and wakeboarding:
Anywhere upstream from McLean's Beach in the ski zone.
Boat access to the river. There's excellent trailer parking and a boat ramp for public use at McLean's Beach, as well as access for boats at both Sloane Street and Harfleur Street. Private access is at the Deniliquin Boat Club and the BIG4 Holiday Park.
3. Best stretch for kayaking and canoeing:
- Best is upstream from McLean’s Beach away from the ski zone.
- Kayaks and canoes can be hired from McLean Beach Holiday Park.
- For the more adventurous, kayaks can be put in at Edward River Bridge Mathoura during the high river months, to then make your way down to Deniliquin.
- Another good access point is the boat ramp at Twin Rivers, where you can paddle with the current back to the centre of town.
8. Best riverside free campsites:
- Free camp at Murray Valley Regional Park where there are a few tables but no other facilities other than a boat ramp.
13. Best three-day canoe trip:
- From where the Edward River leaves the Murray at Picnic Point to Deniliquin.
14. Best waterbird-watching:
- See waders and other water birds at a good birdwatching spot at that can be accessed via Wirraway Drive and is bordered by the cemetery, rice mill and saleyards.
- Also check out the wetland Island Sanctuary at the south-eastern end of Cressy St.
- And, the Mathoura Bird Hide is a bird watcher's paradise.